OK, some highlights from the debate (without any YouTube links because I couldn’t find them).
- Giuliani’s smackdown on Mitt Romney about the unconstitutionality of President Clinton’s use of the line item veto.
- Giuliani went an hour and 37 minutes without mentioning that he lowerd crime in NYC.
- Chris Matthews failed attempt at a joke against Fred Thompson (I think it was Thompson).
- Romney’s joke at Fred Thompson, and Fred Thompson’s knock out comeback.
- Giuliani’s failed attempt at a dig against Ron Paul about 9/11 and Paul’s comeback.
Here’s the ratings, best to worst:
- Giuliani – Close to first, but he resorted to making his usual argument, and got beaten in a mini-dispute with Ron Paul.
- Hunter – General feel-good debate.
- Brownback – Same as Hunter.
- Ron Paul – overall good, strong job, but he said he wouldn’t support the nominee, and even the Paul people I was with cringed at this. Had he not have done that, I’d have awarded him 1st place.
- Romney – got beaten up early by Giuliani. Came back slowly, and tried to make a joke about Thompson, but it backfired. But a very good speaker.
- McCain – he did an average job debating, but the hearing problem seriously accentuated the fact that he’s old and not in the best of health.
- Thompson – Generally, not a great speaker – a LOT of “um”s.
- Huckabee – Generally just wasn’t that good in this one. He went on and on too much.
- Tom Tancredo – his stuttering problem was quite bad in this debate, and it hurt him pretty bad.
Well, I found a video, so here’s the link, and my favorite quotes: http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&brand=msnbc&tab=m5&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/&fg=&from=00&vid=fbe846f5-8580-47f5-9c44-3e8317dd8be9&playlist=videoByTag:mk:us:vs:0:tag:News_Editors%20Picks:ns:MSNVideo_Top_Cat:ps:10:sd:-1:ind:1:ff:8A
“I was frankly a little nervous about being here tonight. I was afraid she was going to put a tax on the debate before the end of the night.” Mitt Romney (4:06)
Romney/Giuliani Smackdown (19:20)
“There are also some bad unions. I’m probably not gonna name the bad unions, but…” Mitt Romney (83:00)
Are unions good for America? “Sure.” Sam Brownback (85:20)
Tancredo: “Sam, I don’t, your mom, if she was a postal worker, believe me, she didn’t need a union on top of civil service benefits”
Brownback: “Don’t pick on my mother”
Tancredo: “I’m sure she was a sweetheart.”
Brownback: “Leave my mother out of this.”
Tancredo: “Especially with regard to, need I say it, illegal immigration…”
Brownback: “My mother is not an illegal immigrant.”
Chris Matthews: “Took a long time, he said, ‘No,’ he shoulda stopped there.”
Thompson: “Well that’s your opinion Christopher.”
Romney: “And this is a lot like Law & Order, Senator. It has a huge cast, the series seems to go on forever, and Fred Thompson shows up at the end.”
Thompson: “And to think I was gonna be the best actor on the stage.”
Done with my commentary,